Saturday, May 31, 2008

Monthly Beer Review and Rating - May 2008



At Home:

Southern Tier - IPA
A solidly good IPA. A little off balance for me.

My Rating: The glass is half full


















Great Lakes - Moondog ESB
A very good beer, but not excellent.
You really can't go wrong with any
beer from Great Lakes Brewery.
My Rating: The glass is half full
















New Belgium - Springboard Ale
This is indeed a good beer for Spring and Summer,
but the unusual ingredients of wormwood, lycium, schisandra,
and 2% ale aged in oak barrels just didn't work together that well
to taste that good to me. It was interesting to try, but I will likely
not want it again.
My Rating: The glass is half empty

















Founders - Centennial IPA
This is one of the best IPA's that I have ever had. Awesome.
My Rating: The glass is full
















Lagunitas - Lucky 13
A great beer and a great deal ($5).
My Rating: The glass is full















On Tap:
at Poor Phil's in Oak Park, Illinois
  1. Two Brothers Bare Tree Barley Weiss - first time having this, I really enjoyed it - My Rating: The glass is full
  2. North Coast Red Seal Ale - one of my favorite overall great ales - My Rating: The glass is full
  3. New Holland Existential - intense and strong, and I like hoppy beers, but doesn't taste very good overall, as it is very off balance to me - My Rating: The glass is half empty
at Small Bar, Avondale/Logan Square, Chicago, Illinois
  1. Lagunitas IPA - My Rating: The glass is half full
  2. Victory Prima Pils - My Rating: The glass is half full
at The Hopleaf, Andersonville, Chicago, Illinois
  1. Surly Bender - My Rating: The glass is full
  2. Founders Red's Rye - another awesome one from Founders - My Rating: The glass is full

2 Comments:

Matt said...

The Centennial IPA is a personal favorite of mine as well. Having it fresh from the tap when I was at Founder's it is actually a little more impressive.

Matt said...

I also thought the wormwood was a weird ingredient.

I liked it fine though.

About Me

My photo
Chicago, Illinois, United States

"Lines on Ale" by Edgar Allen Poe

Fill with mingled cream and amber

I will drain that glass again.

Such hilarious visions clamber

Through the chamber of my brain -

Quaintest thoughts - queerest fancies

Come to life and fade away;

What care I how time advances?

I am drinking ale today

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Beer Drinking Songs

"Lywiseski" Beer Coaster Poster

HIGHWAY TO ALE © 2008 Template by Dicas Blogger.

Top of Page