Tuesday, April 29, 2008

DarkLord Day 2008 happened - I did not go but it looks fun / crazy / difficult

A couple other beer blogs that I've just started reading are buzzing about DarkLord Day 2008, which just happened this past Saturday, April 26. I could not go, 'cause I have too much work to do lately. I have been to the Three Floyds' Brewery/Brewpub in Munster, Indiana twice before and really enjoyed the place and, of course, the beer. I have never have gone to DarkLord Day in the past, but I have thought about it. I realize that there is much more that goes on than just trying to buy or drink Three Floyds' DarkLord Russian Imperial Stout, but everything about the huge crowd spending lots of time and money to try to buy a bottle of this stuff has always seemed pretty weird to me. I mean, it is the only day of the year that you can buy DarkLord, but c'mon. Not sure I would do this much for it. Actually, I have never had DarkLord, and honestly I don't think I will be that crazy about it when I do have a chance to try it.
Apparently, you have to get there very early in the morning to get in line (one person wrote that there were about 100 people in line already at 6:30 in the morning. And people that got in line later in the morning waited some 5 hours to try to get a bottle. And many who came around late morning didn't get any because they were sold out by 4pm or so.
Well, since I couldn't go, I have to live vicariously through the beer bloggers that did go.
So, these other blogs can tell you all about it with lots of interesting details, each with a different perspective on DarkLord Day 2008.

Chicagoist at DarkLord Day: Never Again (with comments) - Chicagoist

DarkLord Day 2008 troubles overshadow spirit of event - beernews.org - which has a list of other beers that were brought by other breweries. The only one that I have had is the Piece Camel Toe.

DarkLord Day 2008 - Hoosier Beer Geek. This one has all the great photos of the super insanely long line!

DarkLord Day 2008 - Matt's Beer Blog. Some more photos of all the people in the line, and some other details.

DarkLord Day - Beers of My Life. I like this Matt's (from Beers of My Life) approach (strategy?) the best!

So, after reading the other blog stories, if I try to go next year, I think I wouldn't even care about buying a bottle of DarkLord, so I would skip waiting in the insanely long line altogether. Apparently, you can just sample other Three Floyds' beer and other great midwestern craft beers instead! But I guess you even have to get there sometime early-ish in the morning to get into the pub for all that too.

1 Comment:

Matt said...

Thank you for the add. I will get yours added to my blog very soon.

You should come out next year for DLD and bring some beer and you will see beer culture. It is just a fun day to hang out with other beer people and sample some amazing beer that people bring from all over the country. There were plenty of people there that had no intentions of ever buying a bottle of DL, but were there to have a great time. Nice blog by the way.

About Me

My photo
Chicago, Illinois, United States

"Lines on Ale" by Edgar Allen Poe

Fill with mingled cream and amber

I will drain that glass again.

Such hilarious visions clamber

Through the chamber of my brain -

Quaintest thoughts - queerest fancies

Come to life and fade away;

What care I how time advances?

I am drinking ale today

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Beer Drinking Songs

"Lywiseski" Beer Coaster Poster

HIGHWAY TO ALE © 2008 Template by Dicas Blogger.

Top of Page