Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer - Update and Rating

Last week I picked up a bottle of the Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer at Binny's (South Loop Chicago). There was small display there and one pint bottle was $2. I tried it the other day. I thought about having it during a time that I was actually eating pizza, but then decided that it would be better to try it on its own, to only get the flavors from the beer, for an honest tasting. I have to say, it was much better than I had expected. I liked the overall texture/mouthfeel of the beer. It poured with a nice creamy head, too, which surprised me. You can see from the picture that the color of the beer is a hazy orange. Again, it is described as an ale brewed with oregano, basil, tomato, and garlic. I did taste and enjoy the distinctive herbal flavors from the oregano and basil. The aroma was strong with the herbs too, but I liked this. At first, it was fun and refreshing to drink. After I drank about half the pint, there was one thing that I started to not like so much. It was the garlic. The garlic flavor became overpowering, and I realized that I personally don't really like having garlic in my beer.
I do like the idea of a Pizza Beer and I very much like the originality of the brewers of this beer. I'm glad I got to try it. It was quite interesting.
After doing a quick internet search, I learned, not surprisingly, that there are many other sites that have written about this beer. And in a very similar fashion to this post! So, I will just list some of those here.

1) Looks like I agree with this first one about the garlic taste, but I definitely do not agree with their extremely low rating of 0/10.
http://beerlibrary.wordpress.com/2008/04/09/mamma-mia-pizza-beer-sprecher/

2) This next blogger's post is very similar to my review.
http://orbitalr0x.blogspot.com/2008/02/mamma-mia-pizza-beer.html

3) Again, I also agree with this blogger's post.
http://bierjournal.blogspot.com/2008/03/mamma-mia-pizza-beer.html

4) "Suburban Hobbyist Puts New Spin on Beer and Pizza" - CBS2 Chicago news article and video. Definitely gotta check out the video - they first brewed it in their garage, and they throw real slices of pizza into the beer mix!!

5) Style Clarification for Mamma Mia Pizza Beer and Rant - written by the actual brewer (and now owner of Pizza Beer Company) Tom Seefurth, from St. Charles IL, and posted on Beer Advocate. Provides some helpful and interesting insight into how they started brewing this beer and getting it mass produced, first some by Walter Payton's Roundhouse, and ultimately now by Sprecher.

6) And of course, on the official Seefurth's Mamma Mia Pizza Beer website, they have tons of additional info and links, including a section with lots of informative, funny, and entertaining videos (many of which are about different cooking recipes using the pizza beer).
Also, there is a list of all the places you can find Seefurth's Mamma Mia Pizza Beer. Looks like it is even offered on tap at several places in Chicago and nearby suburbs.
So, go try some for yourself and see what you think!

My Rating:
The glass is half empty.

1 Comment:

Matt said...

Hey another Chicago beer site! Nice to meet ya

About Me

My photo
Chicago, Illinois, United States

"Lines on Ale" by Edgar Allen Poe

Fill with mingled cream and amber

I will drain that glass again.

Such hilarious visions clamber

Through the chamber of my brain -

Quaintest thoughts - queerest fancies

Come to life and fade away;

What care I how time advances?

I am drinking ale today

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Beer Drinking Songs

"Lywiseski" Beer Coaster Poster

HIGHWAY TO ALE © 2008 Template by Dicas Blogger.

Top of Page