Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Monthly Beer Review and Rating - February March April 2008

Instead of reviewing/rating beers individually each time I have one, I think I am going to just go through them all at the end of each month. Also, I will keep things pretty easy and brief overall. Some may have a photo, some may not. Some may just have my rating, without further elaboration. Some may be on tap at a pub, but many will be bottles that I have had at home. Since I just started this blog about a month ago, I will include February, March and April 2008 in this "Monthly Beer Review and Rating" from Highway to Ale. They will be listed in roughly the order that I had them (since February up until today). Since there are so many for this installment, probably I will just give my rating and give links, which will give more info about the beer, the style, or the brewery if you are interested. My Rating Guide is shown here at the top left of this post, and always on the right sidebar.

Additionally, you can check out the "Weird Beer Thursday" (Highway to Ale's "Special Feature") beers that I have reviewed and rated so far.


At Home:
Scotty Karate Scotch Ale - Dark Horse Brewing Company

My Rating: The glass is half full












review from Michael Jackson ("Beer Hunter")
My Rating: The glass is half full
















Altenmunster Winterbier Doppelbock - Allgaeuer Brauhaus AG
My Rating: The glass is half empty












My Rating: The glass is half full













Conway's Irish Ale - Great Lakes Brewing
My Rating: The glass is full













Dubbel Reserve - Allagash
My Rating: The glass is full














ESB Special Ale - Ska Brewing
Yep, in a can. I wish more microbrewed beers came in cans.
Read this recent blog post, from A Blog About Beer, about how more craft beers are being canned.
Of course, I poured it into a glass. I just forgot to get a photo of this one.
My Rating: The glass is half full















Celis White - Michigan Brewing Co.
My Rating: The glass is half full









My Rating: The glass is half full











My Rating: The glass is full













My Rating: The glass is half full













Delicious and beautiful beer! And affordable! One of my new favorites.
My Rating: The glass is full













This is the first beer that I've had from this brewery in Indiana.
Interesting and good brown ale - I would try their others.
My Rating: The glass is half full












This is one of the few beers that I have ever bought, and have been truly disappointed to the point that I would say that I hate this beer. I feel that I wasted my money on this beer. Thought I would try it since it seemed like an interesting new seasonal. Supposed to be in the style of Biere de Garde. But it fails miserably. Tastes to me like Old Style, which would have been fine if I paid $3 for a six-pack (and was expecting cheap crappy beer) instead of $10! Actually, it seems worse than Old Style. Obviously, I think this beer sucks. If I ever want to try the Biere de Garde style again, I will be sure to try any of these instead. Or anything by Brasserie La Choulette.
My Rating: The glass is empty















Very nice bottle conditioned IPA. I had and enjoyed their Amber Ale a couple months ago. This brewery in Michigan is new for me, and I am really liking their beers. This is the brewery that makes the Tres Blueberry Stout, but once I heard about it I couldn't find it anywhere because Winter was ending.
They also make the Scotty Karate Scotch Ale, with which I started this long review post.
My Rating: The glass is half full
















On Tap: Lots of excellent beers!
at Poor Phil's in Oak Park, Illinois (I hit the jackpot at this place!)
  1. Lagunitas Hop Stoopid - My Rating: The glass is full
  2. Three Floyds Travissimo - My Rating: The glass is full
  3. Two Brothers Imperial Cane and Ebel - one of my absolute favorites - My Rating: The glass is full
at Small Bar (technically in Avondale, just north of Logan Square) Chicago, Illinois
  1. Surly Furious - My Rating: The glass is full
  2. Three Floyds Gumballhead - My Rating: The glass is full
  3. Two Brothers Hop Juice - My Rating: The glass is full
  4. Victory Hop Devil - My Rating: The glass is half full
at Emmett’s Tavern and Brewery, West Dundee, Illinois
  1. Emmett's Victory Pale Ale - My Rating: The glass is half full
  2. McCarthy Red Ale - My Rating: The glass is full
  3. Double Barrel Oatmeal Stout - My Rating: The glass is full
at M.T. Barrels Brewery, West Dundee, Illinois
  1. American Pale Ale - My Rating: The glass is full
at The Hopleaf, Andersonville, Chicago, Illinois
  1. Surly Bender - one of my new absolute favorite beers - can't wait until I can get more here in Illinois and to try their other beers - and they come in cans! My Rating: The glass is full
  2. Surly Two - made with lots of cranberries, very interesting but not that great. My Rating: The glass is half full
  3. Dogfish Head Burton Baton - oak-barrel aged strong sipper. My Rating: The glass is full (but would not have more than one)
at Two Brothers Brewery, Warrenville, Illinois - I plan to write a separate post about my experience here, hopefully this weekend.

4 Comments:

Peaches said...

I love this new beer blog! I'm always wanted to try new beers, and not I have first hand reviews from someone I trust. Awesome!

JKW said...

Thanks so much! It seems that I have written a lot so far (for a 1 month-old blog) but it all seems to sort of write itself naturally and it's a fun project! With so many new beer options today, there are perhaps too many to try! Lots of other beer blogs too, but I kinda like mine. ;)

Matt said...

This is an intense month! Keep up the good work!

JKW said...

Thanks Matt! I just read your review about Half Acre Lager and the comments, of course, which were hilarious. I thought Half Acre Lager was okay. But I guess I feel the same way about Flying Dog Garde Dog as you did about Half Acre Lager! Have you tried the Garde Dog? Curious.

About Me

My photo
Chicago, Illinois, United States

"Lines on Ale" by Edgar Allen Poe

Fill with mingled cream and amber

I will drain that glass again.

Such hilarious visions clamber

Through the chamber of my brain -

Quaintest thoughts - queerest fancies

Come to life and fade away;

What care I how time advances?

I am drinking ale today

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Beer Drinking Songs

"Lywiseski" Beer Coaster Poster

HIGHWAY TO ALE © 2008 Template by Dicas Blogger.

Top of Page